As we prepare for the probable impact of Hurricane Florence, please ready your homes, families and businesses now. In addition to the tips listed below,https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes is one of many sites that can also assist you in your preparations.
Preparing for the storm:
- Designate an out-of-area contact that your family members can call in case you are separated.
- Prepare an emergency kit in a waterproof container or bag. Include your insurance documents, other important documents (e.g. birth certificates and vehicle registrations), phone chargers and prescription bottles. Keep this kit with you.
- If there is time, board up windows and place sandbags around your property.
- Check your home for anything that may fly or be moved by the extremely high winds and either secure it or bring it inside.
- If possible, move any cars, RVs, boats, or other vehicles to a secure area away from weak trees, limbs or areas that could flood.
- Due to potential power outages from downed trees and power surges, stock up on clean water, non-perishable food, extra batteries and emergency backup chargers for mobile devices. If you have infant children, remember to include diapers, baby wipes and formula. Don’t forget to get food for your pets.
- Back up any important computer files and move computers above potential flooding areas of your home or office.
If you’re forced to evacuate:
- Turn off breaker boxes prior to evacuating: This will help prevent electrical surges from destroying your appliances. Also, in the event of water infiltration, it prevents shorts that can lead to fires.
- Never drive through standing water. Underlying currents could carry your vehicle away or trap you in rising floodwater. Find an alternate route. Know your evacuation route and follow the direction of your state and local officials.
IN THE EVENT THAT PHONE LINES ARE DOWN TO OUR AGENCY’S OFFICES following the storm, claims can be called directly to our carrier partners:
*Erie Insurance (all lines of coverage, including home, auto, business, etc.): 800-367-3743
*Progressive Auto (auto, motorcycle, boat, RV, travel trailer): 800-776-4737
*National General Auto (auto, motorcycle, RV): 800-325-1088
*American Strategic Home (aka Progressive Home): 866-274-5677
*Foremost (home, motorcycle, mobilehome, etc.): 800-527-3907
*First Protective Flood: 866-535-7418
*Frontline home or wind: 866-673-0623
*Hartford auto: 800-243-5860
*Hartford home: 877-805-9918
*Hartford Ins Co of the Midwest Flood: 800-303-5663
*Heritage Home: 855-415-7120
*Johnson & Johnson: 800-487-7565 ext. 5024
*Lighthouse home: 877-852-0606
*NC Grange: 800-394-1236
*NCJUA/NCIUA (dwelling, home, wind): 800-662-7048
*United Property & Casualty (homes): 888-256-3378
*Universal Property & Casualty (homes): 800-470-0599